Happy Thanksgiving: How to cut 1000 calories from your Thanksgiving Meal!
Happy Thanksgiving from the staff of Total Sports Therapy! Did you know the average Thanksgiving meal is over 2,000 calories and that is before you have a second serving! Here is the average Thanksgiving meal:
- Turkey, white & dark meat, with skin, 6 ounces
- Gravy, 1/3 cup
- Mashed potatoes, 1 cup
- Cranberry sauce, 1/3 cup
- Green bean casserole, 1 cup
- Sweet potato casserole topped with marshmallows, 1 cup
- Dinner roll, 1
- Butter, 1 tablespoon
- Apple pie, 1 slice
- Vanilla ice cream, ½ cup
To burn 1,000 calories you would have to:
- Run – 9 miles
- Bike – 22 miles
- Jump Rope – continuously for 90 minutes
For many, it may be easier to just cut 1,000 calories from the meal. Here are some simple ways to do this.
- Turkey – eat only 3 oz. of Turkey without the skin (Average calorie savings 200)
- Sweet potato casserole – ½ cup, without marshmallows (Average calorie savings 270)
- Green bean casserole – ½ cup, without the french onion topping (Average calorie savings 140)
- Mashed potatoes – ½ cup instead of 1 cup (Average calorie savings 200)
- Apple pie – ½ cup low-fat vanilla or low fat whipped cream (Average calore savings 160)
By eating slowly you will feel the sensation of being full quickly and will be less inclined to go back for seconds. Have a Happy and Healthy Thanksgiving!